Saturday, March 28, 2015

12/52


A portrait of my daughter, once a week, every week, in 2015
21 weeks old – Celebrations

This week your dear Grandpa turned 60 and the week was filled with his celebrations. Starting with a dinner where you proudly sat in a highchair for the very first time and ending with a party and weekend away at one of my favourite childhood haunts. The days inbetween were spent shopping and cooking with your Granny and you were so wonderful and patient through it all.
Our weekend was spent in the hills in an old Mansion turned into a bunk house our family would hire annually with several other families at the end of every year, although primary school and into my early high school years. Although each visit only lasted a weekend, the memories of my time spent there shine brightly when I reflect on my childhood. We would run through the forest, splash in the creek and perch on our special rock. Hours were spent making up imagined worlds, whispering about magic and completing solemn rituals. Being back there flooded me with nostalgia and I couldn't quite believe I was visiting again as a mum, with my little babe. I had a moment, sitting on a stool in the large kitchen, swinging my legs and I could almost see all the parents bustling around me, preparing breakfast and joking together as they used to.
On the Saturday night, the house was filled with family and friends to celebrate 60 years of your Grandpa and his twin brother. It was so lovely to see old family friends who I hadn't seen in far too long, and to introduce them to you. I honestly couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Part way through the evening, your Granny, Great Aunts, and their wonderfully crazy friends gathered the crowd together and performed songs for you Grandpa and I sat on the floor with you on my lap, looking up at them, just as I'd done at every big occasion growing up. I felt so full and warm, so lucky to have had my childhood and so looking forward to giving you the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment