Saturday, March 21, 2015

11/52

A portrait of my daughter, once a week, every week, in 2015
20 weeks old – my team

The 20 week mark during my pregnancy seemed to take forever, but now that you're here on the outside it's gone in the blink of an eye. I can remember so clearly seeing how much you'd grown since the 12 week scan, how you looked even more baby like as your Dad and I  watched you wave your hands and kick your legs around. We'd held our breaths in anticipation, so ready to finally find relief after some scary moments in the first few months and there you were, all four ventricles of your heart, your brain, perfect fingers curling and unfurling, your stomach filled with amniotic fluid, even your lovely little lips. Suddenly you were more real than you'd ever been before and for weeks after I couldn't stop staring at your perfect little profile frozen in black and white.
40 weeks later and you're just shy of 5 months old and so much more than I could ever have imagined. So much of me, so much of your dad, but so much that is completely unique to you too. I loved holding you in my belly for all those months but to have you out here, getting to know you and seeing you with your dad is a complete joy. Your favourite thing these days is grabbing at our faces, sometimes with quite painful force, but I love knowing that it is your way of recognising and exploring us.This week we started mothers group and I loved sizing up all the other babies in comparison to you. You've cracked 9kg now, which means you've stacked 5 whole kilos on purely from breast milk, which never seizes to amaze me, 9 kilos of baby, grown completely from my body - being a woman is incredible. You're increasingly wearing size 0 clothes and today I had to exchange some too small size 0 clothes for the next size up, you truly are my tiny giant.

No comments:

Post a Comment